=”robots” content=”noindex”> =”robots” content=”nofollow”> the peachie speechie: Using Tattoos in Speech Therapy

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Using Tattoos in Speech Therapy

It is always a great feeling to see my students move past sound drills and flashcards and start focusing on speech sounds in conversation. I am always looking for ways to make conversation activities fun and engaging. When I saw these Monster Hands: Temporary Tattoos for Talking Hands, I knew I had to bring them into the speech room!


So, what can you do with these little guys? Here are a few ideas I came up with:  

- Ask a student's monster to tell a story or tell about a person. ("Hey Monster! Tell me about your best friend!") As the student makes their monster talk, work on self monitoring by having them correct any articulation errors the monster makes. 
- Have the student's monster read a passage out loud. Silly monster voices are allowed, of course. 
- Target social skills by having the monsters act out difficult situations (they can draw cards from the Difficult Situations Fun Deck, for example)

I tested them out on my own hand today. They are a little small for an adult hand but still work OK. They are super easy to apply (all you need is a damp paper towel) and they come off with soap, warm water and a little scrubbing. 




I bought my box of Monster Hands tattoos at Pottery Barn Kids. You can also buy them on Amazon

I would love to hear any other suggestions you have for using these tattoos in speech! 




No comments:

Post a Comment