=”robots” content=”noindex”> =”robots” content=”nofollow”> the peachie speechie: Whack-A-Word

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Whack-A-Word

Another great thrift shop find! This Whac-A-Mole game is a new addition to my collection and I just love it. Look at how cute these little moles are:


The only thing I don't adore about this game is the noise. It beeps and talks and lights up so it isn't the best when I am trying to hear the kids. But they were desperate to play it. Desperate to whack something. So, I printed out some free minimal pair cards from Activity Tailor& Whack-A-Word was created.



We played two different ways:

1- Auditory Discrimination Whack-A-Word: I placed two cards face-up on the table and said one of the words. The students used their mallets to whack the corresponding card.

2- Artic Practice Whack-A-Word: I placed all of the cards face up on the table in rows. The student went down the rows whacking the /r/ words as he said them.


Of course, the last few minutes of the session were devoted to playing the real game with all the lights and sounds and mole-whacking fun. I'd be interested to hear if other SLPs have this game in their collection and how they incorporate it into sessions. I can tell that it is going to be one of those that the kids are always begging to play!





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Glad the minimal pairs came in handy. Kim

    ReplyDelete