=”robots” content=”noindex”> =”robots” content=”nofollow”> the peachie speechie: Getting Crafty for Christmas

Monday, December 9, 2013

Getting Crafty for Christmas

It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas in the speech room! I am feeling festive and crafty and have been incorporating as many art projects into my lesson plans as possible.

Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Pipe Cleaner Candy Canes

I bought Katie the Candy Cane Fairy at the Scholastic Book Fair last month because I loved the illustrations. I have been reading this book to my students and having them make these simple candy cane ornaments to take home.

All you need is a package of pipe cleaners and red & white beads. That's it! My artic students practiced their sound every time they put a bead on the pipe cleaner. My language students answered comprehension questions in an "around the table" style while they worked on their candy canes.

A few of my observant male students pointed out that there are NO BOYS in this book at all. Not one. Even the dog is wearing a pink flower bow. Interesting.





This super easy activity is one of my favorites because I hang the wreaths on my door after students have completed them. They make for adorable decorations!

I just have my kids color their wreath and then add a berry (red puff ball, red bead, red circle cut from construction paper, wadded up red tissue paper -- anything!) for each time they say their sound or practice whatever it is they are practicing.




My students are loving the articulation challenges I have been creating! Unlike some of my others (the Holiday M&M Challenge for example), this one doesn't require candy. Or color ink. Just print and go! I love how easy it is! And the kids love coloring while they practice their sounds. 


We are enjoying all of these holiday crafts but it still doesn't really feel like Christmas yet because it is so HOT out here in GA! Last Friday I wore a T-shirt to school! I wish it would snow!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment